Thursday 24 May 2012

Scripture References

These are just a few Scripture passages (NIV) referring to; clay, pottery, creativity art, artists as well as other scriptural references that I use in my presentations. This is not an exhaustive list. We are just to be students of the Bible.

There are over 30 references to clay, and 40 references to pottery/potters/pots in the bible.

Scripture also mentions "skilled craftsman" in Is 3:3 and "craftsmen" in 1 Chron 29:5.

Art is mentioned a couple hundred times, but it's all "whoart thou".

The fact remains that we were CREATED , by a CREATIVE GOD, in His Image, making us inhearntly CREATIVE!

This explains why so many people have a desire to create or make things?

Why do we doodle? Why do we admire beautiful sunsets and master painters?

It is a part of how we are wired.






Scripture associated with Pottery

Jeremiah 18: 1-6

This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: "Go down to the

potter's house, and there I will give you my message." So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was

shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into

another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Then the word of the LORD came to me: "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?"

declares the LORD. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my

hand, O house of Israel.


Isaiah 64:8

Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we

are all the work of your hand.


2 Cor. 4:7

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing

power is from God and not from us.


Romans 9:20,21

But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, `Why did you make me like this?'" Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?


Isaiah 45:9

Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, to him who is but a potsherd

among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, `What are you making?' Does your work say, `He has no hands'?


Job 10:8,9

Your hands shaped me and made me. Will you now turn and destroy me? Remember that you molded me like clay. Will you now turn me to dust again?


Job 33:6

I am just like you before God; I too have been taken from clay.


Psalm 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. (Likely referring to small ancient clay oil lamps.)


2 Timothy 2:21,22

In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of

wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man

cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble

purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.






Scripture associated with Art


Exodus 31:1-11

Then the Lord said to Moses, "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with Skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. Moreover I have appointed Oholiab son

No comments:

Post a Comment